Sunday, April 18, 2010

Get Yer Freak On!

I often go through periods of nostalgia and longing for the magical decade of the 70's, a wonderful time of shag carpet, polyester, bell bottoms and of course some of the best music EVER!  Well, the other night I was visiting a friend and happened to notice a magnet in his kitchen that brought back some memories....it was Boss Moss from Freakies cereal!  Memba that?!  I do and I also remember some of the awesome prizes you'd get inside the box and I wanted that magnet so damn bad!  For a moment I contemplated swiping that thing as I coveted it so....but I'm a good boy and the angel on my shoulder prevailed.(UPDATE: Upon further reflection I'm thinking I SHOULD have swiped that magnet...this was the same person who called me chub! ~see earlier post~ I'll show you, fuck face...that magnet is so mine next time I come over!)  But here's a throwback for you fellow fab kids of the 70's!  A Freakies cereal commercial montage & history of the cereal after the jump....woo hoo!

 
Freakies was a brand of sweetened breakfast cereal produced by Ralston and sold in the United States. The cereal entered the marketplace in 1973 and was taken off the shelves in 1975. That same year Ralston sold the remaining toys that were to be inserted into the now defunct cereal to a company that supplied Dime and Grocery stores vending machines. For years you were still able to get Freakies figures for .25 and the turn of a knob. The Freakies were made up of seven creatures named Hamhose, Gargle, Cowmumble, Grumble, Goody-Goody, Snorkeldorf and the leader BossMoss.

In the mythology of the Freakies, the seven went in search of the legendary Freakies Tree which grew the Freakies cereal. They found the Tree, realized the legend was true, and promptly took up residence in the Tree which then became the backdrop for all the TV spots and package back stories.

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted that cereal and my Mom would never let me have it! I think she didn't "dig" the name "freakies" and I guess with 11 children she had enough trouble without feeding us sugar cereal! Thanks for the post it brought back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FREAK OF THE WEEK! NOW THAT'S A GOOD IDEA FOR YOUR BLOG - BETTER JUMP ON IT BEFORE WHITECHOCOLATE MESS DOES, HONEY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. speaking of FREAKS, have you seen Mess's dirty little sister blog? www.canyouseemypussynow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh, dirty bird! hahaha! we likes it dirty though so it's all good ;) thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete